Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Hangover


I actually saw this at a matinee a few weeks ago the weekend it came out. However, it being movie night with the girls, we had to pick one to go see. I had been wanting to see Year One because the trailer made it look hilarious. However, after perusing the movie review section of my paper, it seemed like a whole lotta people thought it sucked, plus my friend, Rox, dismissed it with a "it looks dumb". I'd rather see a good movie twice than a sucky one once. So to The Hangover we went.

The film is produced and directed by Todd Phillips (writer/director of Old School) and co-written by Jon Lucas and Scott Moore. The premise of the film is hilarious. A group of friends go to Las Vegas to celebrate their friend Doug's upcoming wedding. They wake up the next day hungover, not remembering a thing, and without their friend Doug. They must find Doug because the wedding is the next day. Hilarity ensues.


I don't want to give away too much else of the plot, because the events that unfold are great and even funnier if you discover them along with the characters. Starring the hot ass Bradley Cooper as Phil, Doug's handsome and carefree schoolteacher friend, Ed Helms as Stu, Doug's conservative, uptight dentist friend, Zach Galifianakis as Alan, Doug's strange and soon to be brother-in-law and Justin Bartha as the groom to be, Doug. Also featuring Heather Graham, Jeffrey Tambor and Mike Epps.


I loved this film. It was extremely funny and made me want to go back to Vegas. The humour is super raunchy, though, with some unexpected nudity (male nudity), so it might not be for everybody. However, our theater was laughing almost the entire time. I also love the way everything unfolded and how we didn't see what happened that night, we get to discover it along with the characters after the fact. Everybody was very well cast, especially Galifianakis as Alan, who was the funniest of the bunch. I highly recommend it, especially if your humour is on the raunchy and low brow side. Every other funny quote I can think of to add is a bit of a spoiler as to what happens in the film, so I will leave you with a quote from Alan's toast at the beginning of Doug's bachelor party, which he reads from a handwritten note on foolscap......

Alan: How bout that ride in? I guess that's why they call it Sin City... ha ha ha... You guys might not know this but I consider myself a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack. But when my sister brought Doug home I knew he was one of my own. And my wolfpack, it grew by one. So were there... there were two of us in the wolfpack. I was... I was alone in the wolfpack, and then Doug joined in later. And 6 months ago, when Doug introduced me to you guys, I thought, "wait a second could it be?" And now I know for sure, I just added two more guys to my wolfpack. Four of us wolves, running around the desert together in Las Vegas. Looking for strippers and cocaine.

More ramblings to come.......

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Rambler said...

I saw the teaser and thought this would be a bad movie..surprised to see a good review

6:57 PM  
Blogger trudyrox said...

Well, I liked it just as much the second time around. One of my friends that I went with thought that it would be bad or dumb, but ended up really liking it. Let me know what you think if you end up seeing it.

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home