Monday, September 29, 2008

Igor


Holy crap, you'd think with the spare time I have now that I'd be posting more. My apologies to the remaining three readers left. I also haven't been going to the theater more often like I thought I would be. One minor rant to start this post off....all summer there was really only one kids/family movie that came out which was WALL-E and that was at the beginning of July. Igor is the first family to come out since then, besides the limited release of Space Chimps.

Anyhow, I saw this was coming out and decided to check it out knowing virtually nothing about it. Written by Chris McKenna and directed by Anthony Leondis, the animated film is a fairy tale of sorts taking place in an evil kingdom called Malaria. Starring the voices of John Cusack, John Cleese, Steve Buscemi, Sean Hayes, Jennifer Coolidge, Jay Leno, Molly Shannon and more.

I thought the film was kind of cute and humorous. It is a bit darker than most animated films aimed at families. The film centers around Igor, a hunchback evil scientists assistant who longs to become a famous evil scientist himself and be seen as more than just "an Igor". He has a knack for invention and is more gifted than the man he assists, except he discovers he's not really that evil. The big evil monster he creates is not only not evil, she wants to be an actress. Igor's nemisis is the not so gifted evil scientist, Dr. Schaudenfraude, and also his biggest competition at the annual evil science fair.

I left the theater thinking it was pretty cute, but now a week later, I can't remember a lot of great stand out parts. It is a bit darker in terms of humour and the fact that one of Igor's inventions is a suicidal bunny who is constantly trying to off himself. As long as you keep that in mind and you think the kids can handle it, you might find it okay. There was a lot of great talent in this and the voice acting was good, but something didn't quite work for me. Interesting premise and concepts, but it fell a bit short. Although, with the lack of family movies out in the theater at this point, I'd recommend checking it out anyway for lack of anything else out. Get on the ball, Hollywood.

More ramblings to come....

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Rambler said...

sounds interesting...I did watch Wall E finally..in a way was disappointed..I thinked it lacked in content and also novelty

2:24 AM  
Blogger trudyrox said...

Aww, that's too bad. I really liked it. I thought it was great that there was very little dialogue and loved the message. You might like this one a little better then.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home