Sunday, February 15, 2009

Confessions of a Shopaholic


Early Sunday matinees are usually my favourites to catch because there is the smallest crowd, no lines for popcorn and it's done early enough to get some shopping done afterwards (they roll up the streets in Regina at 6pm on Sundays). However, having slept wayyy in I had to catch the late afternoon showing. I was really looking forward to seeing this film and happened to have a free afternoon, so I decided to catch Confessions of a Shopaholic.

Based on the best selling novel by Sophie Kinsella, the film is about a young woman named Rebecca Bloomwood (Isla Fisher), a budding journalist who aspires to write for the fashion magazine, Alette. The film is directed by P.J. Hogan and also stars Hugh Dancy, Krysten Ritter, Joan Cusack, John Goodman, and a slew of other very talented people.


The story begins when the gardening magazine that Rebecca works for goes under, forcing her to look for other work. She decides to go to Alette magazine to find work, but is told by the front desk guy that the job has been filled. He tells her that if she really wants to work for Alette, she should try to get the opening at Successful Saving magazine because the company is so nepotistic. Rebecca gets the job. The only problem is that she's a shopaholic in thousands and thousands of dollars of debt due to her addiction. Hilarity ensues.

I loved this film and thought it was a lot of fun. Isla Fisher is so adorable and my crush on her just keeps getting bigger with each film (see my Definitely, Maybe post). I also loved Ritter as Rebecca's best friend, Suze. I would say it's definitely more of a chick flick, with the prototypical developing romantic relationship and of course, all the fashion stuff. I loved seeing so many great actors in one film like John Lithgow, Kristen Scott Thomas, Julie Hagerty (Airplane!), Wendie Malick and Clea Lewis (Audrey from Ellen). One of the things that I loved most about this film was that all of these great women actors had lines on their faces! Loved it and hope to God none of these beautiful and talented ladies resorts to plastic surgery to get rid of them. I prefer to see my movies with people who are able to express emotions and not look like plastic robots.


I have to admit that I have never read the book and one of the users on IMDB who wrote a comment says the movie isn't as good as the book. Another critique that I've read is that a movie about a shopaholic during a recession doesn't work. I find it rather timely though given that overspending and debt is catching up to most people about now and people are looking for ways to save and curb spending. I loved it, but I also went in expecting a cute, fun chick flick. I wouldn't go in expecting anything else.

More ramblings to come.....

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home