Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Earth


My map on the side has just archived itself, so I lost all my pretty dots. So I figure I better start posting again so I can get some more! Plus, I've been, you know, neglecting this thing. It's pretty sucky of me, too, considering I've seen quite a few movies in the last few months, some of them even pretty good. So I had a free afternoon and checking over the listings playing at the Rainbow, decided to check out the nature documentary Earth.

Any of you that know me or read my blog know that I'm a big fan of documentaries, so I was looking forward to seeing this. Apparently, this film is a feature length version of the television nature documentary series, "Planet Earth", according to IMDB. Released by Disney, the film is written and directed by Alistair Fothergill and Mark Linfield and follows the migration path of four animal families.


After looking at the IMDB for the film, I was wondering if I saw a different movie. The 7.9/10 rating, the user comment proclaiming it a "masterpiece!" and I just can't agree. I read that the film production lasted 4, 000 days and had a $40 million dollar budget. It was somewhat depressing at times and I know that the film crew is just there to document, but there were times I wanted to yell at the screen, "for God's sakes, put down the camera and help the baby elephant!!"


The film was sometimes educational but to me, it seemed to drag on too long. I had a hard time making it through the whole film and so did other people in my theater. A man left halfway through and even the two little, old, blue-haired ladies in front of me left before it was done. The biggest gripe would probably be the ever present, sometimes cheesy voice over narration by James Earl Jones. Sometimes it would have been nicer to just enjoy the visuals. Overall a bit of a disappointment.

More ramblings to come.......

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Rambler said...

hey nice to see you back..would be fun to get more movie suggestion from you like before

12:58 PM  
Blogger trudyrox said...

Hey Mad, nice to hear from you. I highly recommend Up, the Disney Pixar flick in 3-D. I haven't gotten a chance to rave about it yet, but I'm hoping soon.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home