Saturday, September 06, 2008

Back to School

This last week was the first week back at school for the university students and the first full week back for the elementary and high school kids. I know for my friends south of the border they go back a bit earlier. Sometimes we have movie theme nights or even weekends in our house. We decided to have a "back to school" weekend on our DVD player, even though it is my first year not returning to school.

Mean Girls
First up was one of my faves written by the kickass Tina Fey. It is a perfect back to school movie because it's Cady Herron (Lindsay Lohan)'s first day at a regular high school after years of home schooling. She becomes educated about the ways of "girl world" by the school's popular clique of girls called "the Plastics". A very humourous look at the social dynamics of high school and the way high school girls relate to each other. I have written about it in more detail in the past here.


Clueless
This is another perfect back to school movie. Written and directed by the uber talented Amy Heckerling, the story was meant to be a retelling of Jane Austen's Emma, only in modern day southern California at a Beverly Hills high school with Cher Horowitz (Silverstone) playing matchmaker with everybody around her at school. Extremely well written, it is both a hilarious and entertaining look at high school. The film launched the careers of Alicia Silverstone, Brittany Murphy, Paul Rudd, Donald Faison, and Breckin Meyer. A definite must see!


Freaks and Geeks
I never did catch the series when it was on television, but I picked up the first and only season on DVD earlier this year and fell in love with it. I picked it up for two reasons, the first because I saw trailers for it on the My So-Called Life dvd box set and figured if it was anything even remotely close to MSCL, I'd love it, the other reason because I love Judd Apatow's films and knew he produced the show and wrote and directed some of the episodes. A great television show which portrayed the less glamorous and more realistic side of high school from the point of view of the misfits and the geeks. Great casting as well with the show starring Linda Cardellini, James Franco, Jason Segel, Busy Philipps, and Seth Rogen before their careers blew up huge. Why do all the really great shows only have one frickin' season?


Sixteen Candles
Blast from the past! A classic John Hughes teen flick starring Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall. Ringwald is Samantha Baker, a teenage girl who gets forgotten on her sixteenth birthday due to her perfect, older sister Jenny's wedding. She has a monster crush on the school's senior hunk, Jake Ryan. The only problem is his perfect, beautiful girlfriend who everybody in the school worships. I loved this film when I was younger (the film came out in 1984), and I got it on DVD last year and rewatched it. I have to say it's quite dated now, but still classic.

More ramblings to come....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home