Sunday, August 31, 2008

Tropic Thunder


So now that things are starting to slow down for me, I decided to catch a matinee on this rainy day. I was torn between The House Bunny (hey, don't judge, I love Anna Faris), Death Race, or Tropic Thunder. I chose Tropic Thunder, even though I really wanted to see Hamlet 2, but since it is a limited release (how come? the trailers look hilarous!), it wasn't playing at the theater near me. I will get to see it later this week.

Written by, directed by and starring Ben Stiller, the film is a comedy about a group of spoiled actors making a war film. The film is also co-written and executive produced by the wickedly awesome Justin Theroux (who knew they were even friends?), which brings me to ask...why the hell wasn't he in it?? Also starring Robert Downey Jr., Jack Black, Jay Baruchel (Knocked Up), Brandon T. Jackson, Steve Coogan, Danny McBride (Pineapple Express), Nick Nolte, Tom Cruise, Matthew McConaughey, Bill Hader (Superbad) and more.


The film starts out on the set of the troubled production of Tropic Thunder, a war movie based on a Vietnam veteran's book on his time in Vietnam. It is already behind schedule and way over budget, not to mention the director can't control his actors who are more concerned with their entourages, their tivo clauses in their contracts, and what awards they might win rather than acting. The scary and crazy studio head, Les Grossman (Cruise) puts his foot down and gets the overwhelmed, first time director, Damien Cockburn (Coogan) to deal with his actors so they can finish making the film.


The actors are dropped off in the middle of the jungle and due to some unforeseen events, are stranded and dealing with the real elements. The group of actors include Tugg Speedman (Stiller), a waning action star, Kirk Lazarus (Downey Jr.), an award winning actor who is overly serious about his craft, Jeff Portnoy (Black), a comedic actor who usually does fart joke movies and has a serious addiction to coke and heroin, Alpa Chino (Jackson), a young rapper type who hocks energy drinks, and Kevin Sandusky (Baruchel), a young, level headed actor who is the most together of the bunch. Wacky hijinks ensue.


I liked the film a lot and at times was more of a dark comedy. It wasn't very predictable and I love any behind the scenes film or a film within a film. It was very funny tongue in cheek poke at the whole process actors go through for a role and at film production in general. There's been a lot of talk about the "blackface" of Robert Downey Jr.'s character, but it's really not as controversial as people are making it out to be. I didn't think it was racist so much as a satirical look at how some actors are overly serious about taking on their roles and the lengths they will go to in researching a role. I also loved that there were so many great comedic actors in this one. I found myself watching thinking "oh cool, he's in it, too?" I wouldn't rave that it's the comedy of the year or anything, but I'd recommend taking a look see, even if you don't like Stiller (I've talked to a lot of people who don't), because it's a humorous send up of the whole movie biz. From the part earlier on in the film where Tyra Banks interviews Tugg Speedman on her show......

Tyra Banks: You have no real family, you're on the wrong side of 40, childless and alone. Somebody close to you said: "One more flop, and it's over."
Tugg Speedman: [pause] Somebody said they were close to me?

More ramblings to come....

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Rambler said...

hey sounds interesting..

btw what do you think about the movie Alfie?

8:43 AM  
Blogger trudyrox said...

I saw Alfie quite awhile ago, so my memory of it is a little fuzzy. I remember not being so crazy about it, though. Did you mean the remake with Jude Law and Sienna Miller?

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home