Monday, October 06, 2008

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist


Well, my good readers, I know I haven't been posting much lately. As I stated in my last post, I've been prone to depression all my life and feel one settling in lately. Depression can be a mutha fuckah, so Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist was just what I needed to help my funk today. I've been looking forward to seeing it since I saw the trailers because it looked cute.

Directed by Peter Sollett, the film is written by Lorene Scafaria and based on a novel by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. Starring Michael Cera as Nick and Kat Dennings as Norah. It's sort of a romantic comedy for the young hipster set and I've read a few people on the IMDB boards say that this is like Before Sunset for this generation. Not entirely sure I agree with that one.


Basically, Nick is dumped by his superficial girlfriend of six months, Tris (Alexis Dziena). Nick has been making song mixes on CD for Tris in an attempt to win her back. Tris doesn't like them and has been throwing them away, only to be taken out of the trash by Norah, who loves them. Nick, being in a funk, doesn't want to go out, but his friends and band members, Dev (Rafi Gavron) and Thom (Aaron Yoo) drag him out with them for a gig anyway. Nick and Norah meet by chance and end up spending a crazy evening together. Nick's friends decide they like Norah a lot better than his ex and create an opportunity for them to be alone, while they babysit Norah's drunk friend, Caroline (Ari Graynor). The only problem is....they lose Caroline. Madcap hijinks ensue.


I thought it was a cute movie. I like it when you don't always know exactly what's going to happen and when there are a few surprises. Nick and Norah were definitely cute together and Cera and Dennings have good chemistry. A little bit formulaic, but I somewhat expected that. I enjoyed it regardless. Nick's friends and band mates added some extra humour and Tris made a good nemesis to Norah. Although I did notice quite a few people on the IMDB boards asking, "what does such a sweet kid like Nick see in such a superficial, bitchy monster like Tris?". I really liked it and it helped my mood on this rainy, crappy day. Good if you're in the mood for a little pick me up, but I probably wouldn't buy the DVD when it came out. From the part where Dev is explaining to Nick why the Beatles were so popular.....

Dev: "Other bands, it's about sex, or pain, or some fantasy. But The Beatles, they knew what they were doing. You know the reason The Beatles made it so big?"
Nick: "What?"
Dev: "'I Wanna Hold Your Hand.' First single. Fucking brilliant. Perhaps the most fucking brilliant song ever written, because they nailed it. That's what everyone wants. Not 24/7 hot wet sex. Not a marriage that lasts a hundred years. Not a Porsche or a blow job or a million-dollar crib. No. They wanna hold your hand. They have such a feeling that they can't hide. Every single successful song of the past fifty years can be traced back to 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand.' And every single successful love story has those unbearable and unbearably exciting moments of hand-holding. Trust me. I've thought a lot about this."

More ramblings to come.......

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Rambler said...

sounds like a fun movie..would try to catch it this weekend

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to see this movie... How's it going stranger? ;)

8:22 PM  
Blogger trudyrox said...

Hey, stranger, it's going. Hope things are good with you.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home