Sunday, August 24, 2008

Quickie Reviews

Holy freakin' crap, it's been almost a month. Sorry I haven't posted in a dog's age, but I've been stupid busy this summer. I have three videos to finish still, a website to get up, and for FUN (in my spare time), I'm making a short film. Therefore, I have not made it to the theater as much as I wanted to and not only that, there wasn't very much that I actually wanted to see. Some in theater, some on DVD, others on TV, here they are.....


Pineapple Express
I was soooo looking forward to this one because I almost always enjoy Apatow's films, not to mention love Seth Rogen and James Franco together (Freaks and Geeks rocked!). There were a lot of funny parts, but it was a weird mix of stoner buddy comedy and violent crime thriller, with each part taking away from the other, not to mention the implausibility of the ending. Overall, fairly enjoyable, but it's no 40 Year Old Virgin.


Journey to the Center of the Earth
My boy had been wanting to see this and we got a chance to catch it at a matinee earlier this month. He really liked it a lot, and it's sort of fantastical. It's the adventure of a geology professor, Trevor Anderson (Brendan Fraser) and his nephew, Sean (Josh Hutcherson) and their guide, Hannah (Anita Briem), while they research the writings of Hannah's late father and Trevor's late brother. They were both Vernions, a group of people who believe that Jules Verne's fictional books were true. It wasn't bad, but it seemed like there was a short set up and boom, the action raced to the finish. Not bad, though, but not great, either.


No Country for Old Men
I went over to hang out with my friend, Rox, and we ended up catching this on television. I had been wanting to see it, because of the whole Oscar sweep thing (winning Best Picture of the Year, Best Director, Best Writer awards and a Best Supporting Actor award for Javier Bardem). I found it incredibly suspenseful and engaging, even though pretty violent. Technically well done and super great acting by the whole cast, particularly Bardem, Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones and Woody Harrelson. I enjoyed it and recommend it. I just want someone to explain to me what the hell the ending means.


Waitress
Written and directed by the late, kick ass Adrienne Shelly (RIP), the film is about Jenna (Keri Russell), a waitress at a pie shop who happens to be married to a very jealous and controlling husband. Jenna makes the best pies ever and wishes she could run away from her husband and open her own pie shop. The only kink in her plan is that she gets pregnant. A cute story about love, happiness and infidelity, it's not a typical chick flick rom com, but also not like a heavy handed Lifetime movie of the week (which it very well could have been given Jenna's abusive marriage). A beautiful swan song from Adrienne Shelly, who was incredibly talented and could have given us so many more great stories if not for her tragic murder shortly before the release of this film. You can find recipes for Jenna's pies here.

I am shooting my film this coming week along with finishing up my contracts for the summer, so I will more than likely not be posting much this week, but hope to get back to doing it regularly very soon.

More ramblings to come.....

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Rambler said...

"No Country for Old Men"
sounds like a good watch Trudy!

4:40 AM  
Blogger trudyrox said...

I really enjoyed it. Javier Bardem did a good job playing a super scary psychopathic killer. Very suspenseful.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home