Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Musings: Must Love Dogs


So I just got back from the movies. And I went to see Must Love Dogs.

I know you must be wondering, if you are going through a breakup, why all the romantic comedies? Why not movies where happy, horny teenage couples get sliced up by some chainsaw/machete/ice pick-wielding maniac? Because I'm enjoying bitterly watching these romantic comedies, rolling my eyes and laughing at them. Serendipity was too far fetched for me, I saw The Wedding Date yesterday and felt the same thing. I really like Dermot Mulroney and Debra Messing, but watching it I felt like I went to the bathroom for too long. They're in love? Huh?? Did I miss something? He said he hated anchovies and she's stepping on his toes while they're dancing, they have drunken sex and now they're in love.....right. I laughed my ass off watching The Notebook because I knew what was going to happen and found it to be too far fetched, too.

By the way, I'm not insinuating I have greater taste in movies than anybody else. As a matter of fact, some of my favorite movies aren't critical or box office successes, but I like what I like. Anyhoo, I really liked this movie. It wasn't as predictable as a lot of the other romantic comedies I've seen lately. It wasn't straightforward, people lied about themselves on their internet dating ads, they didn't know as soon as they met that they were meant to be. The male character doesn't think she's perfect, as a matter of fact he says to his friend, "she's self-conscious, insecure, she has no idea how beautiful she is.....she's a mess and I love it." There were other people they were attracted to and other complications, you'll have to see it to see what I mean. Of course there were parts that bothered me, too. The way she and her family acted as if she was some crazy spinster cat lady because she's been single for 8 months (8 months?? try 4 years, lady). I actually cringed when she said to the dog, "I think he might be 'the one' ". The one? The one and only, if you let him get away you are sh*t out of luck for the rest of your life 'one'? Other than that, I found it very enjoyable.

There's a part and I can't give you the exact quote, but John Cusack's character said some interesting things. They both are out of bad break ups and he theorizes that we have to break our hearts in order for them to grow bigger. That all the pain and hurt will pay off sometime in the future. I sure as hell hope so.

More ramblings to come....

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home