Friday, August 26, 2005

Musings: The Making of D.E.B.S.

Shout out to John who emailed me today about my blog. Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know anybody was even reading it. lol. I more or less started it to get some things off my chest and keep my writing mojo going during the summer til school started again. One and a half more weeks til I start back. Can't wait.....I'm soooooooo bored.

So my big dilemma today is that my boy is changing schools and he's not happy about it. I feel so bad because he wants to go to his old school and start this fall with all his friends, but I want him to go near us now for a variety of reasons. He went to the school near the university because my boy and girl were both at the university daycare and it was neccessary because they were bussed back and forth. They are done at the daycare in next week. My girl is being transported to school for her special program and we have to be here when she gets dropped off. I also want him to have more friends in our area. All his friends are on the other side of the city, so he doesn't get to see them often outside of school. He cried this morning when I told him we had to go register at his new school. I feel like crap and hopefully he'll make new friends right away. I know how hard it is to start a new school and not know anyone.


The other thing that's had me thinking is that I still haven't actually started on my script. I have a notebook and make random shot lists that come to mind. I keep thinking that I have to wait til I take the script writing class next year before I can start. I was watching D.E.B.S. again for the millionth time and was watching the "making of" special feature on the DVD. Angela Robinson, the director and writer, was saying that when she was in film school she was taking classes and writing scripts the way all the textbooks and classes tell you how to, and her DEBS comics were something she just did in her spare time for fun. She got in touch with Power Up, a program to help women in media arts and got a grant for $20, 000 to make a short film. She turned her DEBS comic into a short, 10 minute piece. Power Up helped get it screened by various places, it went to Sundance, people responded very well to it and it got to other festivals. She wrote a script for the feature and shopped it around and Clint Culpepper from Screen Gems, who saw the short, said he'd greenlight it for $2 million right then, but if she left, the offer was off the table. And so the film was made, thus creating a cult classic. She's working on the sequel right now and is hoping to get it made. I guess the moral of that story is you can follow all the different formulas and textbooks that you want to, but what it comes down to is passion for the project. I think you are the luckiest person in the world if you can do something that you enjoy in your free time and can find a way to get paid to do it.

More ramblings to come......

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home