Saturday, July 11, 2009

Quickie Reviews


Public Enemies
So Rox and I had to pick a movie last Saturday and we chose the Johnny Depp as John Dillinger biopic, Public Enemies. Johnny was great, Christian Bale was great and Marion Cotillard was great. The picture as a whole is an interesting story, although I am not raving about it. It was entertaining enough and painted a bit of a picture of John Dillinger's life, but some of the criticism I have read is that it's not historically accurate and I cannot be specific without giving away some spoilers. I'd wait until it came out on DVD.


Year One
My boy and I went to check this out yesterday afternoon. We were the only ones in the theater. The trailers for this comedy written and directed by Harold Ramis made it look hilarious, however I would call it adequately funny. The film as a whole didn't quite flow the same way the trailer did and seemed a little choppy. I love Michael Cera and the rest of the cast was great featuring Jack Black, David Cross, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, the gorgeous Olivia Wilde, Vinnie Jones and many more. There were some laughs, but generally nothing to write home about.


I Love You, Man
Written and directed by John Hamburg, this "bro-mance" is hilarious. Starring Paul Rudd and Jason Segel in a film about a man named Peter (Rudd) getting married and realizing that he has no close male friends. He sets out on a mission to find a friend to add to his wedding party and meets Sydney (Segel). Platonic sparks fly and hilarity ensues. I really liked this film a lot. Rudd is adorably awkward as Peter and I've loved Segel since Freaks and Geeks. It was also nice to see Rashida Jones in a more major role than usual since I've always liked her. I recommend this one as I liked it a lot.


Up
I LOVED this movie. The kids and I saw it in 3D a few weeks ago and these new 3D movies are really cool. I loved the opening sequence that told a very beautiful story with little dialogue. Starring Edward Asner as Carl, this Disney Pixar flick was sweet, cute and touching. I highly recommend it. I really don't want to say too much more about the film so I don't give anything away.

More ramblings to come........

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home