Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Juno


Since I was done all my finals and projects and FINALLY had some time to breathe, I decided to catch a matinee at my favourite cheap theater. I thought I would check out this Juno that I've been hearing so much about.

I'm sure you've heard and read all the hype as well, Academy Award nominations for Best Picture, Best Actress (Ellen Page), Best Director and a win for Best Original Screenplay, yada, yada, yada. Written by Diablo Cody and directed by Jason Reitman. Juno is about a 16 year old girl named...Juno (Page) who gets pregnant by her friend who wants to be more, Bleeker (the dorkalicious Michael Cera). She has to tell her dad (J.K. Simmons) and stepmother (the awesome Alison Janney) and then decide what to do about the situation.


Deciding against an abortion, she considers giving it up for adoption and even meets with a wealthy, much too perfect couple who would like to adopt a child, Vanessa (Jennifer Garner) and Mark (Jason Bateman) Loring. Juno is also supported through it all by her friend Leah (Olivia Thirlby).


I have to say that at first, I thought the movie was trying to hard to be hip. The same way that I wrote that you could see how hard Walk Hard was trying to be funny at times, I felt aware that Juno was trying too hard to be indie and cool, especially with the dialogue. However, I found myself forgetting about it halfway in and got sucked into the film. All of the actors were very well cast and awesome in their performances, especially Ellen Page. I thought it was well written with great characters and it was hard to predict where things were going at times and it also avoided some of the traps that I expected in a movie like this (can't say too much about it without giving away some plot twists). Very enjoyable and different, however Best Picture is overshooting it. I picked the quote from after Juno meets with Mark and Vanessa about a possible adoption. She's just starting her second trimester (4th month).....

Vanessa: So you think you're really going to do this?
Juno: Yea, if I could just have the thing and give it to you now, I totally would. But I'm guessing it looks probably like a sea monkey right now and we should let it get a little cuter.

More ramblings to come........

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Rambler said...

for a change I have seen movie before your review :)..

As you have mentioned..I think dialogues were very cool towards the end..

I liked looking at pregnancy and kid through a young kid's eyes

7:32 PM  
Blogger trudyrox said...

lol, yes, as you can see I almost saw it a few other times but chose other movies first. I liked it because it was different, like you said seeing it through her eyes. Most of the times t.v. shows or movies on teen pregnancy are way too "after school special" cautionary tales and this seemed to me to be just a story, not the end of her life. For some reason, I think the hamburger phone was genius. I loved it.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home