Sunday, January 13, 2008

Atonement


So again I gave myself the choice between Atonement and Juno for a Sunday afternoon matinee. I had heard about what a great, moving love story Atonement was and the good reviews, so once again I decided against Juno. I should also point out that Atonement won Best Picture at the Golden Globes tonight. Really?? Best Picture of the year?

Based on a novel by Ian McEwan, the film was directed by Joe Wright. Starring James McAvoy as Robbie Turner and Kiera Knightley as Cecilia Tallis. two young lovers who soon have their lives turn upside down as a result of Cecilia's young sister. Brioney (Saoirse Ronan), falsely accusing Robbie of something he didn't do.


I thought it was a good movie, but the raves and the Best Picture win baffle me. I didn't find myself sucked into Robbie and Cecilia's love story. I thought the jumping around in the timeline was a good device as it made the story more interesting. Honestly, I don't really have much more to say about it other than that. It was beautifully shot, I love the setting, but I didn't get sucked into the story. However, many seem to disagree with me.

More ramblings to come.....

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home