Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Quickie Reviews

For whatever reason, I sometimes don't always get a chance to write about what I get to see at the movies. This is a short summary of those that I have seen, but have yet to write a full post about.

I am Legend
Starring Will Smith as Robert Neville, a scientist who is the only survivor left in Manhattan after a virus wiped out much of humanity. He works on finding a cure for the remaining virus infected "humans" who have turned into some kind of aggressive, animalistic vampire-like creatures. My sister insisted I see this because it had such a great message and made it sound uplifting. It was action packed, and suspenseful, but I missed the uplifting part. It was okay overall, but I'd wait until it came out on DVD.


The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep
My son really wanted to see this movie over Christmas break, so we took it in a few nights ago. Directed by Jay Russell, the film is about the origin of the Loch Ness Monster and the infamous photo taken. It is set in Scotland during WWII and stars Ben Chaplin and Emily Watson. When I see films with the kids, it's for them and often when I see films with them, I'm distracted with making sure my daughter is cool. She has autism and loves going to the movies, but she is over sensitive to sound. We bring headphones for her to use when it gets too much, but this film was especially loud. It's being marketed as a family film and for the kids, but I would say it'd be better for the older kids. I thought it was okay, but being distracted, couldn't get lost in the story. However, my ten year old son loved it and thought it was good.


August Rush
I had seen trailers of this film and it looked good. So when my friend Rox said "let's go see it", I said okay. A young orphan is convinced his parents want him and that he'll find them if he follows the music. Starring Freddie Highmore as the young orphan and Keri Russell and Jonathan Rhys Meyers as his parents. I found it very moving. You knew how it was going to end and that it was too perfect to be true, but still went along for the ride. Also, the passion all the main characters had for music was inspiring. When you have a passion for something so strongly that you need it like you need to eat and breathe, that's a blessing. Also starring Terrence Howard and Robin Williams.

More ramblings to come.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home