Monday, January 07, 2008

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story


So, I had an afternoon to catch a matinee and I gave myself the choice between seeing Juno and Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story. I began kicking myself for choosing Walk Hard about ten minutes into it.

Directed and co-written by Jake Kasdan, the film was also co-written and produced by Judd Apatow. Judd Apatow is the reason why I had so much hope for this movie to be really funny given that he produced two of my favourite comedy movies in the last two years, The 40 Year Old Virgin and Superbad. The ever awesome John C. Reilly stars in the film which was another hope that it would be really good.


Basically, the film is a spoof of other music biopics like Walk the Line. Reilly stars as Dewey Cox, a musically gifted boy with a tragic childhood who becomes a music superstar like a Johnny Cash or Elvis Presley. The film follows his journey from childhood to old age and through his stages through the decades. Jenna Fischer stars as Darlene Madison, the June Carter to Dewey's Johnny Cash.


The rest of the cast was awesome as well, especially Tim Meadows, Chris Parnell and Matt Bresser as Dewey's band. The actors were all great, something just didn't click. There were a lot of funny moments, but there were many more moments were you could see the humour that just didn't quite come together. You could see how it could be funny, but you could also see how it was trying to be funny in a way that takes you out of it and makes you aware of the process in the same way that it takes you out of the story when you see the boom in the shot. Does that makes any sense at all?

However, John C. Reilly was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Performance in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy, so I may be in the minority on my opinion. It wasn't a subtle spoof like This is Spinal Tap or a very silly, obvious one like Naked Gun, it was a weird combination of being between. His performance was awesome, for me it was something in the direction. You may enjoy it, but I would describe it as ultra silly. That isn't to say there wasn't some parts that made me laugh. Here's one of them between Dewey and Tim Meadow's character, Sam. You have to picture Sam talking to Dewey in a tone that makes it seem as though he's trying to convince him NOT to do it.

Sam: [after Dewey accidentally barges in a room filled with smoke and groupies]
[coughs]
Sam: Get outta here, Dewey!
Dewey Cox: What are y'all doin' in here?
Sam: We're smoking reefer and you don't want no part of this shit.
Dewey Cox: You're smoking *reefers*?
Sam: Yeah, 'course we are; can't you smell it?
Dewey Cox: No, Sam. I can't.
Girl Groupie: Come on, Dewey! Join the party!
[takes a hit off a joint]
Sam: No, Dewey, you don't want this. Get outta here!
Dewey Cox: You know what, I don't want no hangover. I can't get no hangover.
Sam: It doesn't give you a hangover!
Dewey Cox: Wha-I get addicted to it or something?
Sam: It's not habit-forming!
Dewey Cox: Oh, okay... well, I don't know... I don't want to overdose on it.
Sam: You can't OD on it!
Dewey Cox: It's not gonna make me wanna have sex, is it?
Sam: It makes sex even better!
Dewey Cox: Sounds kind of expensive.
Sam: It's the cheapest drug there is.
Dewey Cox: [at a loss and out of excuses] Hmm.
Sam: You don't want it!
Dewey Cox: I think I kinda want it.
Sam: Okay, but just this once. Come on in.

More ramblings to come.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home