Sunday, December 30, 2007

P.S. I Love You


When I asked my friend, Roxane, if she wanted to go see P.S. I Love You, she said...."somebody I know wants to see that, but I can't remember who." I said, "That would be me." Since every time the trailer came on before the movie, or the commercial came on T.V., I'd tell anyone listening, "I want to see that", whether they cared or not. It looked like a cute story.

Written and directed by Richard LaGravenese, the film stars Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler as Holly and Jerry Kennedy in an unusual romantic comedy. Holly and Jerry are married. They are madly in love. Jerry dies because of a brain tumour. Holly falls into depression and doesn't leave the house. Her mother, Patricia (Kathy Bates), and friends Denise (Lisa Kudrow) and Sharon (Gina Gershon) arrive to get her out of the house to celebrate her 30th birthday. Also arriving that night, the first of ten letters from her deceased husband, with specific instructions on what he wants her to do to help her move on.


The film follows Holly as she tries to cope with Jerry's death and attempts to find herself and where she wants to go, while also remembering her time with Jerry. One of the reasons that I wanted to see this film was because it stars Harry Connick Jr. as Daniel, who works for Holly's mother at her pub. I fucking LOVE Harry Connick Jr. and he's so cute as the budding romantic interest who has a big crush on Holly and tends to blurt out whatever comes into his head.


I really liked this film. The story was sweet and was able to take you some place else. Even though it was clear that Jerry was going to die early on, the trailers made that clear, it was still sad when Jerry died and when he made an appearance in the flashbacks. I don't know what it's like to have the person you love pass away, but I do know what it's like to have love end and have to deal with moving on. That's why I could relate to Holly's depression and confusion at figuring out what she really wants to do with her life now that she is on her own. Everybody was great and I especially got a kick out of Daniel and Holly's friends, Sharon and Denise, the comic relief. I recommend it if you like romantic comedies or are in the mood for a good cry. From fairly early on in the film when Holly tells Gerry something about life....
Holly: All I know is, if you don't figure out this something, you'll just stay ordinary, and it doesn't matter if its a work of art or a taco, or a pair of socks! Just create something... new, and there it is, and its you, out in the world, out side of you and you can look at it, or hear it, or read it, or feel it... and you know a little more about... you. A little bit more than anyone else does... Does that make any sense at all?
Gerry: Yeah... you're saying you want to paint socks.
Holly: [ecstatic] Maybe!


More ramblings to come.....

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Rambler said...

hey looks to be a nice movie Trudy!

Happy New Year!

1:23 AM  
Blogger trudyrox said...

Well, I really enjoyed it. Happy New Year to you, too, Mad!

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home