Saturday, September 23, 2006

Movie Quote of the Day: Woo (1998)


While my friend and I were out DVD shoppin, we special ordered some DVDs. I got Woo and Smoke Signals, which came in today. I freaking love this movie. I haven't seen it in quite awhile and it used to be one of my favorite Friday night movies. I'd have a night alone and watch Woo, How Stella Got Her Groove Back and then Sliding Doors. I miss those nights.

Anyhoo, whenever I tell people this is one of my favourites they say they have never seen it or even heard of it. I caught it on cable, taped it and have watched it a kabillion times. It's a guilty indulgence just like D.E.B.S. Woo (Jada Pinkett Smith) is a wild, crazy extrovert with a really, cool tranvestite fashion designer/astrologist who advises her on her every day life. Woo is told by her tranny psychic advisor that she will soon meet with a Virgo who will rock her world, but she is skeptical. Woo's cousin, Claudette (Paula Jai Parker), and her cousin's boyfriend, Lenny (Dave Chappelle) want to be "alone", so Lenny calls the only guy he knows will be home on a Saturday night, his uptight, law clerk friend Tim (Tommy Davidson) to take Woo out. Woo only agrees to go out with him because Tim is a Virgo. From the beginning, Woo and Tim hit it off, but proceed to get into trouble wherever they go and have a crazy night, while Tim gradually loses patience. They often clash because Woo is tempestuous, moody, the life of the party and center of attention wherever they go and you have the feeling she has always gotten whatever she wanted. Tim is more of a watcher, overly cautious and his friends call him "McCauley Culkin" because of all the time he spends home alone (get it?).

Part of what makes this film great is all the other characters. Everybody was perfectly cast. Tim's friends Romaine (Michael Ralph), Frankie (Duane Martin) and Hop (Darrel Heath) are all hilarious as the guys who would rather yell come-ons at women than talk to them. LL Cool J has a great cameo as Tim's worldly, smooth, mack daddy neighbor Darryl. I just went to the message board on IMDB for this movie and people talk about how bad the writing and directing and acting is and I just don't see it. I found the lighting in some of the earlier scenes distracting and Woo's lip colour is just wrong, but to me, everything else is perfect. There are actually very few positive responses to this movie, but I love it anyway. I loved all the characters, the humour, the dialogue and the story arc. Also, I thought the character transformation was great, as well. Woo and Tim are both changed by each other and their night, and they inspire each other to do something different.

Here it is.....

Woo: "There are people who watch things happen and there are people who make things happen. Which one are you?"

More ramblings to come.......

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home