Sunday, May 18, 2008

Comic Relief: The Greatest...and the Latest


I recently discovered that my contact email for my blog was on an account I had cancelled last September. Apologies if you've tried to contact me and gotten no response. So anyway, I was in Walmart last night not really looking to buy a new DVD, just browsing, when I came across the Comic Relief: The Greatest...and the Latest two disc DVD. I snatched it up immediately because I have fond memories of watching the first three Comic Reliefs with my family.

Disc 1 has a hodge podge of clips from the first Comic Relief in 1986 and other Comic Relief specials through the years. Remember when Arsenio still had a show? Remember when Bob Saget was still on T.V.? Remember when Elayne Boosler was funny? Ya, me neither. Just kidding, sorta, but if you do and if you're a comedy fan like moi, you'll enjoy lots of good earlier stuff from Dennis Miller, Richard Lewis, Penn and Teller, Paul Reiser, Rosie O'Donnell, Garry Shandling, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Kathy Griffin, and Dana Carvey's infamous "Chopping Broccoli" song.

The second disc is the Comic Relief 2006 special for Hurricane Katrina. Appearances by Ray Romano, Rosie O'Donnell, Susie Essman, D.L. Hughley, Dane Cook, Bill Maher, Sarah Silverman, Lewis Black and more. The special features on disc 2 contain very moving stories about the devastation created by Hurricane Katrina.

The DVD is a must have for the stand up lover. If you are a stand up freak like I am, you might find some of the material a little deja vu, like Chappelle's bit on black people being bad bargaining chips for terrorists and Ray Romano's Vegas bit for a few examples. I've seen and heard those done at least three other places. A word of warning though, there is a TON of f bombs and sexually inappropriate humour. I happen to really enjoy these things, but it's not for the whole family. Also, in the Katrina Relief special there is a lot of Bush and Republican bashing, so if you happen to be right wing or don't like that kind of humour, it might not be for you. I happen to love both discs.

It's hard to choose one quote with all the great one liners, but here it is, from Disc 1....Chris Rock on the Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinski scandal......

Chris Rock: "He's a married man, he's supposed to lie under oath...what do you fear more; a God you can't see or a wife you can? God don't make you sleep on the couch. God don't hold back the pussy for fuckin' six months. We got a forgiving God, but wives don't forget shit."

More ramblings to come......

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home