Sunday, February 25, 2007

R.I.P. Lylas Filson

Today at approximately 5:15 p.m., my beloved grandmother Lylas Filson passed away. She had gotten sick about a week and a half prior. The doctors are still not sure what her illness originally was, as she had decided after two days of tests, medications, MRI's, etc, and the onset of pneumonia, that she wanted to go. She went on her terms and I'm grateful for that. I was able to spend time with her in her last days and let her know that I love her and said good-bye. I also asked her to give my father a hug and a kiss for me and tell him I love him when she saw him (he passed when I was 12) and she said she would.

My grandmother was the all-powerful matriarch of the Filson family survived by my grandfather, Russ, my aunt Andrea, my uncles Brett, Geoff and Neil and a whole bunch of grandchildren and great-grandchildren. My grandparents had celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary last summer receiving letters of congratulations from the Queen, the Prime Minister, the Governor-General and a whole schwack of other people. My grandparents had lived in Regina for many, many years and are well-known and liked in the community. We couldn't go anywhere in town without them bumping into at least a few people they knew. Active within her church and the curling community, she will be greatly missed by many.

I have so many great memories with her and my habit of taking in matinees started with her. In the summer when I was younger, she used to take me to see a movie in the afternoon and then out for gelato afterwards. She was also very supportive of my academic and artistic pursuits. I love her dearly and will miss her very much. I am also grateful that she was able to go on her terms and that she is no longer in pain.

Apologies because there may not be a new post until later on in the week as I will be busy with other stuff.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rambler said...

My deepest condolences to your family

11:45 PM  
Blogger trudyrox said...

Thank you.

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home