Wednesday, February 21, 2007

DVD Quote of the Day: The Jerk


One of my fellow cinephiles has informed me that I'm a jerk because I've never seen The Jerk. So, I picked up the Steven Martin: The Wild and Crazy Comedy Collection box set from Walmart, which includes The Jerk, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid and The Lonely Guy. I think I've just fallen in love all over again with Steve Martin (L.A. Story has always been one of my faves).


Directed by Carl Reiner, Steve Martin (who also co-wrote the story) stars as Navin R. Johnson, a kind of imbecile adopted and raised by a black family ("I was born a poor, black child"). Navin has never felt like he really fits in with the rest of the family and decides to see the world, starting with St. Louis. He gets a job there at a gas station working for Mr. Hartounian (Jackie Mason), then moves on to become a carny where he discovers what his "special purpose" is for. There, he meets and falls in love with Marie (Bernadette Peters, who's actually a hot little disco dancer). He also finds out he's a sudden millionaire. Hilarity ensues.


Steve Martin is quite the hottie in this film. It is very, very funny and unlike most comedies, the humour is unexpected and you can't see the joke and plot coming a mile away. I have no clue how I haven't seen it before now, but I'm sure glad I did. It's embarrassing for a Steve Martin fan to admit. Unfortunately, the DVD special features are minimal with a small "learn how to play 'You belong to me' on the ukelele" featurette (which may be fun if you actually own a ukelele) and a few minutes of an extended "atrocities" that the Father has shown Navin on film. There are sooooo many funny quotes that it's hard to settle on just one. From the part where Navin sends a letter home after losing his virginity......

Grandma: (reading letter) My dear family, guess what. Today I found out what my special purpose is for. Gosh what a great time I had. I wish the whole family could have been here with me. Maybe some other time as I intend to do this a lot. Every chance I get. I think next week I'll be able to send some more money as I may have extra work. My friend Patty promised me a blow job. Your loving son, Navin. (stops reading) And he's got the kisses here.
Father: That Patty must be a sweet girl.
Mother: God bless her.

So I've seen the movie and I'm no longer a jerk (happy now?)

More ramblings to come.....

1 Comments:

Blogger Rambler said...

sounds really interesting, got to check this out

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home