Friday, July 14, 2006

Guide: How to Watch Movies for Cheap

It's not all the time that I feel compelled to go to the first run theater, pay ten bucks, spend more money on popcorn (gotta have the popcorn) to see a movie. There are a few movies a year that I actually look forward to seeing and have to go the day it opens, out of the how many movies that get released every year...? Only 2, perhaps 3 will get me there opening day on purpose. More often than not, I've got time to kill and love movies so I end up there by default. I like to check out the matinees at the Rainbow Cinemas. Three bucks for a matinee, four for an evening show. These are the movies that may have peaked my interest when they were being released, but not enough to make sure I was there when the movie opened. You can't rent a new release for 3 bucks anymore. Plus, sometimes a movie experience can be enhanced because you're feeding off the energy of the other movie-goers.

I am a total shark in the previously viewed sections at Blockbuster. If you're in Canada, you know Rogers has a previously viewed section as well, but Blockbuster is definitely cheaper. Plus, I've found some of my favorite documentaries for $7.99 (Double Dare, My Date With Drew) and $9.99 (Murderball, Born Into Brothels). One thing to keep in mind is that different Blockbusters have different movies and sometimes there is a price difference in the same movie at different stores. You just have to make regular trips and keep looking. Also, if you see a movie you want in the previously viewed section and it's say, $12.99 or more and there are more than 8 copies....wait. They start out being priced at $16.99 but keep going down in price. Sometimes if you check back in a few weeks, the price will go down another 2 bucks until it reaches $9.99, sometimes less.

Also check WalMart. I love digging through their $6.88 bin. A lot of times there is crap, but sometimes you can find a few good'uns (Heathers, Top Secret). They change regularly and may have different movies at different stores. Overall for new DVD prices, WalMart is also cheaper than most places. Especially if it's a movie you planned on buying the day it came out, it's a few dollars cheaper on the Tuesday. But, there are the few times that a movie will be cheaper at the video rental chains. You just have to keep your eye out.

Sometimes the t.v. box sets go on sale at different places. I've noticed a few different times this year stores like Zellers and Blockbuster will have the earlier seasons of The Simpsons on sale for half price. 25 bucks instead of 50 is pretty good savings if you were gonna shell out the 50 for the set anyway.

Just a few hints for cheap movie hunting, because why pay more if you don't have to? Also, if you are a DVD-aholic like moi, you spend too much on DVDs as it is. One rule of thumb I go by is to step away for a day, if you still really want it, go back and get it. If it's something you must have, then snatch it up. I've had a few regrets at the cheap bin at WalMart (Drop Dead Gorgeous, So I Married an Axe Murder) because I stepped away and it wasn't there when I went back. But, only one regret for picking it up when I shouldn't have (Kissing Jessica Stein, ugh, horrible!).

Happy hunting......more ramblings to come.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home